9.18.2009

EDITOR'S NOTE

Punkshoe8tion
by Donald E. W. Quist

My verbosity was apparent from the early age of ten.
Aspirations of crafting freely, living/breathing through my pen.
Though my concepts were exceptional and my dialogue a delight,
I struggled with punctuation, commas drifting out of sight.

No comprehension for the colon, peck at ;'s like a hen.
Capitalization instead of !exclamation! to show emphasis, no zen.
Parentheses were Greek to me, brace and bracket I'd yet to fathom.
I’d tiptoe through a thesis, slashing dashes, quotes and hyphen.

8 years later I had had enough, I would nix my indifference.
My frustration with punctuation could be bested with commitment.
Off to college, gain some knowledge, to relearn the base and basics;
My stories no longer confined to a stream of declarative statements.

Jack runs -PERIOD-Jack is scared-PERIOD-Jack fell down-PERIOD-Jack is afraid.
With just a little more attention rounded characters could be made.

With ellipsis and apostrophes I could give my Jack a voice.

No more questions on direction, God had issued me a choice,
“Do it better or not at all. Are you a procrastinator or creator?”
“I choose action not distraction, navigating Jack through paper!”
Punctuation is a trusted tool enhancing speech, connection,
an author's necessity, gently aiding me in written communication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donnie Quist...I love you. Seriously, write more kid.