11.04.2009

SURVIVAL TIPS

Coping with Rejection











with Justin Johnson, a Cubs fan

Hey...hey...how ya doin'? I know...I know, it's been hard - yes, I agree. Come on now, don't do that. I'll start, too. Every year it's the same...you see, I'm a fan, too. The Cubs haven't won the World Series since 1908, and I know, it's hard to accept. The past few years, they've at least made it to the playoffs. Giving us a little hope that maybe, just maybe, this would be the year. But this year, 2009, nothing. Not even a chance at the NL Wild Card. It's heartbreaking - yes, I know. I went to Chicago for the first time this year, and loved it. We're dedicated, yes. Maybe foolishly so. We hold out hope for next year, thinking that it just might be the year. And every year, here we sit, trying to ignore the glory of our major league colleagues. Now the MLB season is coming to a close, but this year, I have help. Steps to help us cope with the years of playoff rejection by our boys in blue.

1. Acknowledge the rejection
Don't run from it. We have to face facts. The Cubs are notorious for choking under pressure, most readily evidenced in 2003 (No, let's not talk about it). But acknowledging the rejection shows that you're strong and will push forward.

2. Forgive them
We do this every year. The team breaks during the playoffs, and we say, "See you in April! Can't wait for next season!" We've gotten really good at forgiveness.

3. Seek help
During the off-season, don't dwell. Do something to take your mind off of things, or check online. There are websites filled with people like you. There are ways to occupy your mind without dwelling on what. just. happened.

4. Surround yourself with people who support you
Go visit your family. If they know you're a fan, they'll support you. Unless your brother is a White Sox fan...who just won the World Series a few years ago. Otherwise, you should be fine.

5. Open your heart to the possibility of love
Don't. Come on, please, just stay...stay calm. Every year it's the same old thing, and it gets so old, I know. But please, just - think of Dempster! And, and Soto! And - it hurts! My heart hurts! There is love out there! THERE IS LOVE.

6. Trust those who prove trustworthy
THERE ARE PLAYERS WHO WON'T FAIL US. ZAMBRANO IS OUR ACE. OUR ACE WILL SAVE US. FUKUDOME IS EASTERN DANGER. THERIOT IS THE GREAT WHITE HOPE! HE WILL NOT FAIL US! OUR CUBS ARE JUST MISUNDERSTOOD. LOU PINELLA LIGHTS A FIRE BENEATH THEM, AND NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR!

7. Be willing to be healed
I...I can't - stop - crying...it's been so long...how long must we wait? How long?! I'll...I'll just keep holding on. Next year we'll be rested up and we'll have new players and guys from the farm system and we'll be able to combat the naysayers and fight to the playoffs! I just...I just need a few months.

No comments: